Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Validation


I made this for a book cover I was working on but ultimately it was just an excuse to play a little bit with painting on chip board, some collage with lovely green images cut out of Vanity Fair. I made the photo of myself in my office. I like the back view, it is our most unfamiliar view of ourselves and I think represents all we don't know about ourselves. The brown leather suitcase was my mothers. She kept all her important documents in it. I should consider keeping her ashes in this case instead of the cardboard box where they currently reside. So many things to do. I was cleaning the studio tonight, the ritual reclamation of the creative space and the return to it. I made this piece when the weather was still warm and it came out as a burst, unselfconsciously. Because it was not chosen for the book cover, I cast it aside and then due to occurrences this week when I came across it tonight I decided to accept it as a valid creation. I have been reconnecting with some long time ago contacts in my field and that has set me to thinking about the nature of this work I do and helps me to see all that I have done and how to make it better. It's a time of gentleness.

3 comments:

Dreaming said...

Your final sentence, "It's a time of gentleness." is very evocative. Thank you - you gave me a moment of peace. A moment to reflect. I loved it! Oh... and I love your art - again, that back view is an interesting perspective - it makes me want to know what's over there?

Amanda Summer said...

there is something solid about this image yet at the same time ethereal, and the brown leather suitcase serves as a powerful anchor.

Rowan said...

Thank-you A. I do consider my mother (represented here by the suitcase) a profound anchor in my life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It