Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

This Week In Design


It's that time of the year again when the Bellingham Farmers Market poster gets done. We have a pretty limited budget for art so the onus is on me to come up with the visuals. This year I tried a few different things based on the new Market Directors direction and ultimately this one was chosen. I like it.

This week I also got to watch the movie Helvetica. I am pretty sure non type lovers would find it all very interesting but for me it is like having someone articulate an affliction I have been suffering from. There was not one thought expressed that I have not struggled with myself. So nice to hear these elegant european men speak of the meaning of typography and how we got to where we are using the vehicle of the almighty Helvetica. And of course I felt vindicated because many of these guys admitted to being bored with contemporary type and leant more toward a few basic faces time and time again. This is how I feel. I try to look at new fonts but the forms are always saying the wrong things in the wrong way and it makes me uncomfortable. I yearn for sensible friendly, sans serif fonts that help me organize the information I am requested to by my clients.

Of course being an artist means contradicting yourself wildly and using nothing but slab serifs in the work example shown here. I like those too for different reasons. For one thing they are easier to sew... I can't believe I am now starting to sew type. It's an affliction and I am trying to embrace it and see where it takes me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It